DISC was established by the decree n° 1328/2009 becoming effective from January the 1st, 2010, as a result of the merger of the following departments:
DICMI, DISCMIT, DISTBIMO, DISCMIT and DISMR has been incorporated in the DISC.
DISC coordinates educational, training and research activities in the field of general and specialistic surgery promoting their integration with biological medical disciplines and physical sciences. The Department is also enriched by the section of clinical dentistry.
DISC researchers have competences in general and specialistic surgery (including dentistry), diagnostic disciplines (pathology and microbiology), anesthesiology and reanimation, and constantly work with interactions and close cooperation.
The teaching staff is composed by 62 teachers, including 11 full professors, 25 associate professors, 26 Researchers, and are grouped in the following Scientific Sections:
- MED/07 Microbiology
- MED/08 Pathology
- MED/18 General Surgery
- MED/19 Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery
- MED/21 Toracic Surgery
- MED/22 Vascular Surgery
- MED/23 Cardiac Surgery
- MED/24 Urology
- MED/28 Dentistry
- MED/29 Maxillo Facial Surgery
- MED/31 Otolaringology, Head and Neck Surgery
- MED/33 Orthopaedics
- MED/41 Anaesthesiology and Intensive Care
- FIS/07 Applied Phisics
The administrative and technical staff is represented by 33 units.
The Department offers a single-cycle Master’s degree in Dental Surgery and Prosthetics and three degrees for healthcare providers: Dental Care, Podiatry and Audiometric Technicians and the following Residency Programs:
- Anaesthesia, Intensive and Palliative Care
- Cardiac Surgery
- General Surgery
- Plastic, Reconstructive and Aesthetic Surgery(allied, Leader University of Genoa)
- Toracic Surgery (allied, Leader University of Turin)
- Vascular Surgery
- Microbiology and Virology (allied, Leader University of Turin)
- Orthopedic and Traumatology
- Otolaryngology, Head and Neck Surgery